Tuesday 4 December 2012

Colour accent


Ferrari

This Ferrari, sadly not mine, was parked on our drive, whilst its owner took my wife's car away for repairs. Of course, I was quickly outside and all over it with my camera, because of being newly aware of the focus on colour of Assignment 3. as a result, there were many photographs to choose from for each of the components of this assignment. But I finally chose this one for the 'colour accent' category. Here, there is almost a recurrent theme of red contrasting with yellow, but it is the smallness of the famous icon, placed against the rain drops on the equally famous red of the car's bonnet. I feel that the moisture lends a softness to an otherwise hard-edged archetype.





Flowers

It was while I was hunting down images of all things green for the 'primary and secondary colours' section of this  assignment that I discovered the subject of this photograph. I was struck by the contrast between the strong, almost overpoweringly green foliage and the delicate 'accent' of the blue flowers. Whether the two are connected in ways other than in a picture I do not know. But I love the way in which the flowers gently steal the show.






Swinging balloon

When visiting Oxford, in the summer just gone by, to see an exhibition of the paintings of the artist Anita Klein, I came across the contents of this photograph. It was an open door, wooden in the old style with black ironwork. A balloon was swing slowly in the heat of a narrow street, advertising perhaps a party of the day before. I took several shots and chose this one. Editing - cropping only - allowed me to reduce the image to simple geometric shapes, echoing the learnings of assignment 2. I like the 'accent' of the orange sphere against the chiaroscuro of the door.




Flower

And finally this photograph. I love it because I had nothing to do with its original creation: that was nature's handiwork. All I did was get in close, look through the lens and release the shutter. I don't even know the flower's name. Once more, via cropping, the eye of the viewer is drawn inward on a fascinating journey. Indeed, if the caption 'flower' was removed, who knows what the image may mean to different viewers...? For me, the accent of yellow could be fire, or light. But whatever it may be, it beckons, it entices, it invites.



No comments:

Post a Comment