Friday 31 May 2013

Light: images of the effect of light and an 'instrument for light-writing'...





These are some random but 'light-related' images. First off, here are five pictures of an Ensign box camera I came across recently. I can't explain why, but box cameras are, for me, one of the most significant symbols of photography. I remember using one back in the early 1970s and being entranced by the fact that the instrument actually worked!

I love the look of items such as this, which in some way explains what the following photographs are about. 














Why clouds all of a sudden...? Well, sometimes we can get bogged down in all the small details of taking pictures for such and such an exercise that we forget to simply look... This sky was above me on Bank Holiday Monday and I thought: 'That is the work of light...!'








It must be obvious by now that I am a bit obsessed with rainbows! We were visiting friends the other day when the afternoon sun shone through a glass ornament in their kitchen and started painting rainbows on the walls and floor. I know they are not rainbows in the strictest sense, but indulge me.

I was a bit slow with the first photograph and missed the unalloyed image of the spectrum, but at least I had a go...

In the second image, the sun was working its light-magic on the kitchen floor tiles.








These two photographs just seemed to encapsulate what we read in the course guide about how we actually see colour. I posted them in the largest format so that it is possible to lose ourselves in the shape, form, colour and texture of the flowers.








And as for this guy - not only does the camera love him, but he automatically smiles and slips into 'cheeky charmer' mode whenever a lens is pointed in his direction. 

I like the contrast and the way the light picks out the form of his face. Yes - the highlight on the right is too bright, but when I have learned more about  my Aperture editing software I shall be able to fix things like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment