Sunday 8 September 2013

Sebastiao Salgado exhibition / Natural History Museum / 'Genesis'


I finally made it to the Natural History Museum to see the Salgado exhibition. As they say in Italy, I was 'Senza parole!' or 'speechless'... This was really something. A turning-point. A moment never to forget. I was minded of going to see the Edvard Munch exhibition at the Hayward Gallery, in 1973, which had - and still does - the same powerful effect on me.



I had arrived early to be in time for an experience I knew would be so special. It reminded me of seeing Springsteen at Wembley this year: not really believing that I was about to see something I had dreamed about for so long.



Walking down the corridors in the museum was akin to walking through the catacombs under St peter's in Rome. When I went in I vowed not to rush but to soak it all up instead.



The images were amazing: the sheer number of them; the over-arching theme; the wide scope of subjects; the utter power of individual photographs; the recurring 'is such an picture possible or real?' question...



The force of black and white was palpable in this gallery. It's tonal depth just kept hitting us again and again.



What really added to the process of viewing these pictures was trying to remember all the things we have been learning on 'The Art of Photography 1' and use to these elements as a guide to seeing and appreciating at a deeper level: framing, point, lines, diagonals, triangles, curves, rhythms, patterns, shapes, light, colour, tone, narrative and illustration. Having this as a way of seeing added so much more to the experience. Whilst I knew I was in the presence of a true master, it is thanks to the OCA that I discovered how much of a genius Salgado actually is.



Coming home from London on the train, I saw huge clouds and a rainbow. My reaction was simple: that's a Salgado sky...!


I owe my good friend Leo a huge debt of gratitude for bringing this exhibition to my attention. Next time we go out for a meal, it will definitely be my shout!

No comments:

Post a Comment